In 1905-1906, the pastor and members of the First Baptist
Church of Rocky Mount began to take interest in the rural area in the western
part of the city. What they saw was a field, white to harvest, with but few
laborers. So with this, they organized a little mission Sunday School in a
small three-room school building. Teacher volunteers from First Baptist Church taught
Sunday School on Sunday afternoons. Reverend Braxton Craig and later Dr. Mercer
came and held services. After two or three years of mission work, it was
decided it was time to organize a church. Through dedication, donations of land
and timber, a little wooden church was born. In 1909, it was officially
organized with 11 charter members.
Growth began early and in 1925 additions were added to this
little wooden church. Over the years, the blessing of growth necessitated the
beginning of building projects. In 1950, an educational building was built. A
new sanctuary was built in 1956-1957. In 1963, four lots were purchased and a
new parsonage was built. In 1981, an additional building for Sunday School
classes, fellowship hall and offices was erected.
This growth, spiritual and physical, could not have happened
without dedicated members and God-fearing pastors. Missions and evangelism have
always been key to our ministry. Through strong adult and youth organizational
programs such as Word on Wednesday (WOW), Women on Mission, Baptist Men,
Cornerstones and a very talented musical membership, we still had need for
expansion. From this need, the original church site was sold in 2003 and the
congregation moved to a new, larger site on Englewood Drive in February 2004.
In 2009, Calvary celebrated our 100 anniversary. In 2012, a
building project was completed to add classroom space on the ground floor,
install an elevator and renovate classrooms on the second floor.
Since our humble beginning, we have experienced the
leadership of 20 pastors. Calvary has a bright and promising future as we build
upon the contributions of those have so sacrificially given of themselves,
their time, talents and finances.
We are a people of visions. A vision that inspires and
reaches beyond where we are at present, into a future where the storehouses of
blessings fine their source in God. We are His people and we are seeking to do
His work as we walk the pathway of Christian commitment “white unto harvest”
with men, women, boys and girls who we will seek to win to Jesus Christ. May he
give us our heart’s desire.